jueves, 14 de marzo de 2013

It's time to do something about it...

Today I've been working in first form.
Not only I took a sore throat home but also something to reflect upon.
I gave them a colouring activity to solve.
It contained a number-colour code like this:

one=black
two=green
three=red
four=white
five=yellow
six=blue

Surprisingly, many children could read or "guess" the words.
But for some others it was like reading this for us,

jedan = crna
dva = zelena
tri = crvena          
četiri = bijela
pet = žuta
šest = plava
(unless you know Croatian)

So, what do these children need to solve the activity?
Most of the words presented are irregular or words that they cannot decode yet.
But colours and numbers are high frequency words. They appear all the time.
Consequently, they have to learn them by heart.
What shall we do?
Send a list of vocabulary to study at home?
I'm convinced that these children need to learn by doing/playing in small groups.
What about a Learn and Play Day?
In the same way good speakers participate of a tea party and good readers of a book club, "weak students" that make an effort could have a Learn and Play Day.
In a Learn and Play Day students could put hands-on work, have fun, and learn strategies they need to solve activities in the classroom.
Some ideas:
Preparing colours and numbers flashcards with the kids
We could ask students what they think about when they see colour yellow.
Maybe the sun, a banana, or the yellow submarine in the song they learnt in kinder.
yellow 


We could make a simple drawing of what they say for them to colour and use it as reference material for the classroom.
We could play memory games in the computer. I'm sure they are very good at that! And we could tell them that they can use the good memory they have to learn numbers and colours.
We could play with the shape of the words.
We could play with magnetic letters.
We could practice the copy, cover, write, and check technique.
We could prepare a vocabulary card to keep in the copybook.
Sing a song, role play, cut and paste, puzzle games, etc.

I would love to have a Learn and Play Day with students that need "extra help" or learn in a different way.
The only problen is that an intervention like this needs continuity and we know this is something very difficult to achieve at school. It should take place at least once a week.
I could have a Learn and Play Day with 1st and 2nd  and Vivi another one with 3rd and 4th.
Do you think we could give it a try?

3 comentarios:

  1. Miss, where do you take these ideas from? They are FANTASTIC!!! I would really give it a try!!! I strongly believe that acknowledging our students efforts to do well is as important as praising best speakers. Every week I send home a note to parents Congratulating their children either because he/she has made a great effort or he/she has participated a lot. Of course, stickers are included! = )
    On thursdays students are so eager to know who the lucky one is! And, you know, I'm trying really hard to stick to this, to be consistent and praise students in a variety of ways just because of your previous post. I'm writing something about it in my blog too. I'll let you know when I have it ready!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Girls, I love the idea! first of all I have in my mind a key word that I am using every day which is MEMORABLE. if teaching just passes by we won't get good results, we will have children acquiring knowledge only if they play, sing , dance and take home something MEMORABLE every day. It is a big challenge ,I know and we should be open to it.
    Let's get together to analize the Learn and Play Day!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. What a fantastic idea, Moni!!!
    I would love to participate in one, and work with little children for a while! I offer myself!!!
    Love,
    Ceci

    ResponderEliminar